Homemade Hot Cocoa
Packaged hot chocolate or cocoa mixes have a lot of unnecessary ingredients and generally way too much sugar which is usually refined. I love making my hot cocoa with nut milk and since I make my own nut milk, I like to change it up with hazelnuts or pecans. Adding a tablespoon of nut butter makes the cocoa a little thicker and I think more decadent. I find the sweetness level is personal preference, feel free to adjust to your tastebuds. Stevia is an option for sweetening, I personally prefer the real thing.
- 1 cup organic milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa or cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (try almond or hazelnut or cashew)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons coconut sugar (honey or maple syrup works great as well)
- 1 or 2 drops of food grade peppermint oil (optional but fun)
Add cocoa/cacao powder to saucepan.
Add a small amount of milk and whisk to blend with cocoa powder, creating a paste, this will help eliminate lumps.
Add the rest of the milk slowly while mixing.
Next add the nut butter and sweetener of choice.
Whisk well over medium heat till hot but not boiling.
Pour into your favourite mug and enjoy!
SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER
Free 5-Day Meal Plan